Metal is planning a large scale, weekend-long Harvest Festival in Peterborough’s historic Cathedral Square. The festival will celebrate the relationship between the city and its rural countryside, connecting people to the land and its associated Harvest rituals, whilst promoting local food and its suppliers. Overall this city wide, family orientated event will focus on ecological and social sustainability including localism, food production, food waste/sustainability, agricultural education and collective responses to the land.
This will be a publicly engaging weekend of art and culture that reinvigorates and transforms the ancestral ritual of Harvest and attracts thousands of people into the city centre; here is a brief outline of the weekend and what it will involve.
Sunday 20th September
The food and craft market, located in St John’s Square, will be taking place between the hours of 10 am and 4.30pm. At its centre, international artist’s Studio Orta, will host a meal for 500 invited guests in front of the guildhall in Cathedral Square – their first outdoor meal in the UK. Guests will be invited via a host of Harvest ambassadors. This meal will be made up by locally sourced ingredients, including a large quota of the produce coming from the surrounding allotments. A ritual procession leading into Cathedral Square will start off proceedings, where once the meal has commenced; the public who aren’t seated at the meal will be welcomed to take part by having a taste of the harvest menu at nearby stalls.
Over the weekend long Harvest celebrations, 10 UK newly commissioned visual and performing artists works will also be revealed; these include an interactive games, processions, sound installations and films-just to name a few!
ENTRIES TO THE HARVEST LOTTERY HAVE NOW CLOSED
HARVEST LOTTERY – How to enter for tickets to the Studio Orta meal on 20th September 2015
On Sunday 20th September arts organisation Metal and artists Studio Orta will be hosting a simple meal for 500 in Cathedral Square, Peterborough as part of their wider Harvest Festival.
Since the year 2000 the Studio Orta have designed thought provoking ‘70×7 Meals’ that have brought thousands of people from all different horizons together, to sit down, to dine and to talk about specific issues. Each meal is site-specific and each one is accompanied with specially commissioned art works, limited edition Royal Limoges porcelain plates, hand printed table runners etc. Through the unusual settings and the beautiful art works adorning the table, the artists have transformed the daily ritual into something unique to be remembered and re-enacted forever. This Peterborough meal will be Studio Orta’s 39th meal across the world, yet their 1st outdoor meal in the UK.
Studio Orta’s artwork ‘70×7 The Meal’ draws from the ancestral ritual of dining together. Tickets to the meal are allocated by two methods:
- ‘Harvest Ambassadors’, residents of Peterborough representing specific communities, are given tickets to give out to their communities
- A ’Harvest Lottery’ – Metal have set aside 70 PAIRS of tickets to be given at random to people entering a ticket lottery.ENTRIES TO THE HARVEST LOTTERY HAVE NOW CLOSED More details about Studio Orta and the meal can be found here.
More details about the Harvest Festival can be found here.
Conditions for the lottery:
- Deadline for submission: 16th August 2015, 5pm
- The lottery for tickets will take place the week commencing 17th August 2015
- Entries will be selected at random
- We will be in contact with ALL entrants to let them know whether or not they have been successful
- Successful entrants will be asked to provide the name / details of the person they will bring to the meal and will be told how / when to collect their ticket in advance of the day
- To redeem your tickets you must have provided the details of the second person
- Your details will be added to a database for evaluation and potential email-outs. You will be able to unsubscribe via subsequent emails.
- Entrants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All entrants must live in Peterborough and the surrounding villages
- You can only apply once for tickets. Multiple entries from the same person will be deleted
- 1 ticket = 1 person. If you require a guardian or carer to attend with you this must be the person taking the 2nd ticket
- The meal will take place from approximately 12.30 – 3pm. Times may vary and Metal will contact successful entrants nearer the day to confirm times.