OPEN RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CALL FOR ARTISTS
EDGE HILL STATION GARDEN PROGRAMME
Edge Hill Station Garden was first re-developed by Metal in 2011. Earlier this year we secured some financial support from Tesco’s Bags of Help initiative to develop a yearlong programme of art, food and gardening. The year’s activities explore how public green spaces benefit our day-to-day lives and can drive awareness of environmental sustainability.
As part of this strand of work, Metal is delighted to announce an open research and development call out for artists to respond to the following provocation:
How can Edge Hill Station Garden encourage people to use public transport?
Metal Liverpool will support one artist, researcher and or, artist collective, who is pushing the boundaries developing new, inspirational and challenging art with a research and development residency opportunity.
The project is open to national artist/s and researchers working across all art forms. To coincide with our wider programme we welcome applications from artists identify their practice as being influenced by, but not limited to, the following contexts:
- Socially engaged: Work encouraging social interaction, which involves people and communities in debate and collaboration.
- Progressive public realm formats / activist: Work interrogating to how public spaces can become outlets for creative and alternative forms of political, social and cultural expression, or address political or social issues in a site-specific context.
- Permaculture: Work linking to our interests in the fundamental principles of permaculture.
To make an application, please provide:
- Please provide a short summary describing your initial idea (300 words max)
- Outline why you are interested in the theme, Metal and the Edge Hill Station Garden Programme and how your current practice relates to the theme / provocation.
- Initial proposed dates for your Research and Development Residency
- Short statement about your work and previous relevant experience (200 words)
- 1 link to your work
- Indicative budget breakdown
Please note all responses should be contained in a single PDF document.
Please e-mail your application to Mary Jane Edwards: Maryjane@metalculture.com
Project budget and resources
Budget: £1.000 GBP for project development and materials
Below is an indication of the additional resources and support that will be made available:
- Metal will host a public meeting and dinner as part of the project.
- Metal will provide open access to the public garden and newly developed outdoor studio arches in Edge Hill Station Garden and desk space within our office.
- Nurturing supportive environment, with a dedicated member of staff as your point of contact throughout the development of the project.
Application deadline: 24 August 2017
Phone/ Skype Interviews: Week of 11 September 2017
Delivery of the project: Between 23 October 2017 –23 March 2018
If you’d like to discuss any access requirements or support needs you may have prior to making an application to Metal Liverpool, please contact Mary Jane Edwards: email@example.com / 0151 707 2277