In 2016, Metal converted the old stable buildings in Chalkwell Park into a new centre for art and education where a wide range of activity for both young people and adults can take place. Facilities include a traditional art studio alongside digital resources.
The extra space for Metal in Chalkwell Park extends our education programmes to people of all ages from across Southend and the wider region.
We invite local practitioners to use Metal Art School as a base for artistic workshops, short courses and creative community meet-ups.
To enquire into hosting your own creative sessions, please fill out this form.
For schools and individuals of all ages, we have a wide range of other activities on offer, including artist-led workshops (can be delivered in-school or at Metal Art School), evening art courses and discussion groups for adults, Pupil Enrichment Programmes that schools can partner with, summer projects and more.
Metal Art School currently hosts :
- NetPark Wellbeing Project – a wide range of free art courses and drop in sessions for those living with a mental health diagnosis and/or dementia. For all current courses – see our What’s On Page.
- Regular artist-led classes including Printmaking with David Lintine, Drawing in the Park with Lisa Meehan or Fern Worsley, Sketchy Kids with Farida Kamruddin and more. For all current courses and booking information – see our What’s On Page.
- Summer School Sessions. Metal Art School offer creative arts sessions in the school summer holidays. Some courses include gaining a nationally accredited Arts Award. For all current courses – see our What’s On Page.
One-off, private sessions available for schools and young peoples groups :
- Arts Award – ‘Discover in a Day’. Available for Booking. Price on Application. A creative all day course for youngsters resulting in a nationally accredited award – an exciting introduction to the broad spectrum of the arts. Available to primary schools – an opportunity to have a full-on creative day out at the Metal Art School, or on home turf in school.
- Clever Essex – Balloon Debates. Available for Booking. Or FREE online resources here. Workshops that aim to highlight the ingenuity and inventiveness of Essex folk throughout the ages, de-bunking the contemporary stereotypes of our county. Further Details.
- NetPark – Take the Tour. Open 6am – 8pm. FREE. 15 Apps are available to download for free in Chalkwell Park. Each App takes you on a different journey around the park, providing a variety of experiences which are by turns surprising, funny, informative, entertaining and/or thought-provoking. These have been designed for a variety of audiences – there is something to enchant all ages. To borrow iPads for FREE – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- NetPark – Creative Digital Workshops. Available for Booking. Price on Application. A tour of the 10 NetPark artworks can be followed up with an in-studio digital creative workshop – creating self portraits using ProCreate on an iPad.
- PEP (Pupil Enrichment Programme) – A range of creative arts courses and full day Enrichment Activities for secondary school students designed specifically to enrich and extend arts provision in schools. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested to find out more.
Previous sessions include :
- Arts Award Courses. Bronze / Silver / Gold – An established, successful range of courses offered to young people for no fee (on application). Opportunities to meet contemporary artists and designers, visit galleries and other cultural destinations, explore and develop creative skills and be part of a lively, exciting group.
- TOMA (The Other MA) A 12-month alternative art education model, set up by practicing artists; a space for artists to work and develop their practice within a critical framework for postgraduate level designed to fit the everyday lives of contemporary working artists.
For further information about any of the activities listed above, please get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org / 01702 470700.